We Will Defend Your Rights & Protect Your Future
Underage DUI Attorney in Murrieta
Ready to Fight for Minors & Young Adults Facing DUI Charges in Murrieta, CA
Underage driving under the influence (DUI) is a serious offense that can have lasting effects on your future. If you have been arrested for driving under the influence, you need an experienced DUI defense attorney who will fight for your rights. At the Law Office of Nicolai Cocis, our Murrieta underage DUI lawyer has extensive experience in DUI cases and will use this experience to fight for your rights.
Underage DUI Laws in California
In California, the legal drinking age is 21, and anyone under that age is considered underage. California has a Zero Tolerance law, which means that it is illegal for individuals under 21 to drive with any amount of alcohol in their system.
Under Vehicle Code Section 23136, if a driver under the age of 21 is stopped by law enforcement and found to have a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of 0.01 percent or higher, they can face an administrative license suspension. The length of the suspension may vary depending on prior offenses and other factors.
Additionally, Vehicle Code Section 23140 pertains specifically to underage drivers who are found to have a BAC of 0.05 percent or higher but less than the legal limit of 0.08 percent. Lastly, if an underage driver has a BAC of 0.08 percent, then they will face standard "adult" DUI charges.
California Underage DUI Penalties
If an underage driver's BAC is .01 percent, a conviction can result in driver's license suspension for one year. If an underage driver's BAC is .05 percent, then a conviction carries a maximum fine of $100, driver's license suspension for one year, and enrollment in an alcohol education program. Lastly, if an underage driver has a BAC of .08 percent, a conviction is punishable by a jail sentence of up to six months, a maximum fine of $1,000, driver's license suspension for one year, and enrollment in an alcohol education program.
The most serious consequence, however, is the effect that an underage DUI can have on your future. If convicted, you will have a criminal record that can make it very difficult to find a job, get a loan, or even rent an apartment.
Do I Need a Juvenile & Underage DUI Attorney?
If you have been arrested for DUI, you need an experienced Murrieta underage DUI lawyer. Our team can evaluate your case and determine the best course of action to get your charges reduced or dismissed.
Explore Our Success Stories
- Jury Trial Regarding Federal Conspiracy to Obstruct U.S. Congress
- 23 of 24 Felony Counts Dismissed: Client sentenced to probation and credit for time served in an auto-theft case worth $1.7 million
- Charges reduced: Mortgage and Real Estate Fraud Valued in Excess of $1 Million Resulted in Probation and One Year of Home Confinement
- Charges Reduced: Client Charged with Accessory to Murder after Shooting at Busy Restaurant Resulted in Probation and Jail Time. Avoided Lengthy Prison Time.
- Substantial Reduction of Sentence: FBI Arrested Client for Involvement in Events on January 6th at U.S. Capitol in Washington D.C.
- Sentence Reduced: Client Whose DNA was Linked to Kidnap and Rape Faced a Sentence of 50 Years to Life.