We Will Defend Your Rights & Protect Your Future
If you were charged with fleeing the scene of an accident, also known as hit and run, you may be up against severe penalties. According to California Vehicle Codes 20001 and 20002, anyone involved in a collision, even a minor fender bender, must pull over, check on the other party, and exchange information if any damage or injury occurred. A person must do this even if the accident was not their fault. When a person fails to so, even if they pulled over but didn't share accurate information, they could face criminal charges and leave a stain on their record.
Now is the time to reach out to the Murrieta criminal defense attorney at the Law Office of Nicolai Cocis. Our firm understands how overwhelming this time may seem, but we are here to advocate for your rights and clear your name.
Contact us online or call us today to set up a free consultation!
Understanding California's Hit & Run Laws
Even if your incident is as minor as hitting a parked car, you still have the legal obligation to provide some accident and contact information to the owner of that car. Without taking these measures, you could face very serious penalties.
- The penalties for a misdemeanor hit and run conviction can include:
- Jail time for up to 6 months
- Probation for up to 3 years
- $1,000 in fines and possible court fees
- 2 points on your driving record
- Restitution for any injured victims
Many additional factors can contribute to your final sentencing. For example, if someone was injured, it can increase your charge to a felony offense. Also, having previous criminal convictions on your record can also enhance your sentence.
Contact us for a free case evaluation!
We urge you to talk to our defense team at the Law Office of Nicolai Cocis. In the appropriate case, we can have the charges dismissed through a "civil compromise". We can also search for possible defenses on your behalf and use these to help you lessen or avoid penalties altogether.
As a Murrieta criminal defense lawyer, Nicolai Cocis has been leading our defense team since 1999, providing high-quality legal support for those facing serious offenses. Whether you have a simple or complex case, you can count on us to help.
If you were arrested for hit and run in Murrieta, Temecula, Menifee, Wildomar, Lake Elsinore, Hemet, Perris, Banning, Corona, Winchester or Riverside, do not hesitate to call our firm! We can help.
See How We Have Helped Other People In Your Shoes
- 23 of 24 Felony Counts Dismissed in Auto-Theft Case Worth $1.7 Million. Sentenced to Probation and Credit for the 4 Days in Jail Already Served
- Mortgage and Real Estate Fraud Valued in Excess of $1 Million Resulted in Probation and One Year of Home Confinement
- Accessory to Murder after Shooting at Busy Restaurant Resulted in Probation and Jail. Avoided Lengthy Prison Time.
- FBI Arrested Client for Involvement in Events on January 6th at U.S. Capitol in Washington D.C. - Obtained Substantial Reduction of Sentence
- Sentence Reduced to 8 Years for Individual Whose DNA was Linked to Kidnap and Rape.
- Case Dismissed for Church Pastor Facing Criminal Charges for Violating COVID-19 Regulations