We Will Defend Your Rights & Protect Your Future
Under the California Penal Code 459, burglary is defined as entering into any sort of structure, room or locked vehicle with the purpose of committing either a theft or any felony. It is sometimes more commonly referred to as "breaking and entering." Burglary can take many different forms, whether it involves someone intentionally stealing a purse from a retail store or taking an item from someone's home, the penalties can be severe across the board. For those facing burglary accusations, it is a good idea to obtain the best possible Murrieta burglary crime lawyer available to you.
What are the potential penalties you could face?
Consequences for burglary are broken up into two different categories, depending on the location that the offense occurred. Entering a place where someone lives with the intent to steal something or to commit any felony, it is considered residential burglary and it is always treated as a felony. Anytime that a person enters a retail store, place of business or any other place where no one is living, with the intent to steal or to commit any felony, it is called commercial burglary. Commercial burglary has the possibility of being deemed either a misdemeanor or a felony, depending if the accused has any previous convictions and by looking at the surrounding circumstances of the crime.
The penalties for both categories are as follows:
- Residential Burglary (First Degree Burglary)
- Potentially up to 6 years in prison
- Considered a strike under the California "three strikes" law
- Commercial Burglary (Second Degree Burglary)
- As a misdemeanor, up to 1 year in jail
- As a felony, up to 3 years in prison
- Does not count as a strike
How can Attorney Cocis defend you?
Using aggressive legal tactics, Murrieta burglary defense lawyer, Nicolai Cocis, can decipher the intricacies of your case and put together a solid defense on your behalf. Looking at the circumstances of your case, he can investigate whether there is any evidence revealing that you were not actually involved in the crime or that you did not actually commit the felony once inside the structure. In the same way, he may be able to prove innocence if the items actually belonged to you or if you believed you had been given permission to take them.
Serving Clients Since 1999
Providing quality, one-on-one legal advocacy to clients throughout Murrieta, Temecula, Menifee, Wildomar, Lake Elsinore, Hemet, Perris, Banning, Corona, Winchester, Riverside and other surrounding cities in Southern California, it is no surprise that Attorney Cocis has obtained highly successful case results. He has received full case dismissals and reduced charges for numerous clients in the past. Check out our case results and testimonials to learn more about the level of service and genuine care that Attorney Cocis provides no matter the charges.
Call our office today for a free, confidential case consultation or fill out our free case evaluation form here. Don't go up against the harsh legal system alone. Protect your rights and your future. Contact the Law Office of Nicolai Cocis today at 951.666.2600!
Explore Our Success Stories
- Federal Conspiracy to Obstruct U.S. Congress .
- 23 of 24 Felony Counts Dismissed in Auto-Theft Case Worth $1.7 Million. Sentenced to Probation and Credit for the 4 Days in Jail Already Served
- Mortgage and Real Estate Fraud Valued in Excess of $1 Million Resulted in Probation and One Year of Home Confinement
- Accessory to Murder after Shooting at Busy Restaurant Resulted in Probation and Jail. Avoided Lengthy Prison Time.
- FBI Arrested Client for Involvement in Events on January 6th at U.S. Capitol in Washington D.C. - Obtained Substantial Reduction of Sentence
- Sentence Reduced to 8 Years for Individual Whose DNA was Linked to Kidnap and Rape.