We Will Defend Your Rights & Protect Your Future
Murrieta Grand Theft Defense Attorney
Providing Confident & Experienced Advocacy Since 1999
Grand theft is one of the most common theft charges in California and is defined by the stealing of another’s property that is equivalent in monetary value to $400 or more. Depending on the exact value of the property, grand theft can be charged as either a misdemeanor or a felony.
At the Law Office of Nic Cocis, our Murrieta criminal defense lawyers want to help you understand the laws regarding theft crimes in California and build an effective defensive strategy.
With more than 16 years of experience practicing criminal defense law and an Avvo rating of 10.0 Superb, you can trust our firm to help you face your charges with confidence. We are dedicated to providing our clients with the personalized legal advocacy that they need and the supportive assistance that they deserve.
The Penalties of Grand Theft
Grand theft charges are considered more serious than petty theft charges and carry much more significant sentences. Additionally, grand theft is considered a “wobbler” in California which means that it can be charges as either a misdemeanor or a felony. Whether the crime is charged as a misdemeanor or a felony depends on the value of the property that was allegedly stolen.
- A misdemeanor grand theft conviction can carry the following penalties:
- Three years of informal probation
- Jail sentence of up to 12 months
- Fines of up to $1,000
A felony grand theft can carry a sentence in state prison of 16 months, two years, or three years depending on various factors of each case. Our criminal defense firm can conduct thorough investigations and analysis to build an effective case and pursue the best possible outcome for our clients.
With so much at stake when facing charges of grand theft, it is essential to have an experienced legal advocate who can help you develop a defensive strategy based on the facts and circumstances of your case. Our Murrieta criminal defense attorneys have an extensive track record of success when it comes to defending our clients, because we are familiar with local prosecutors and judges and know what it takes to win cases.
- Some of the most effective defenses to grand theft crimes include:
- Challenging the value of the property that was allegedly stolen to lessen charges against the accused
- Arguing a lack of criminal intent if the accused did not intend to deprive the alleged victim of the money or property
- Arguing consent or false accusation if the alleged victim’s version of events is untrue
Let Our Experienced Attorney Fight For You
If you’re facing charges of grand theft, obtaining the right criminal defense lawyer is essential to ensuring that your rights and freedoms are protected. When you schedule your free consultation, our team will address your questions and concerns and begin discussing your legal options for defending grand theft charges. Our mission is to give you the confidence of knowing that you have a dedicated and effective legal advocate in your corner.
Our office is located near the Southwest Justice Center in Murrieta, California. We represent individuals in Temecula, Murrieta, Menifee, Wildomar, Lake Elsinore, Hemet, Banning, Corona, Winchester and Riverside areas.
Contact us online or call (951) 666-2600 to get started with a free case evaluation.
See How We Have Helped Other People In Your Shoes
- 23 of 24 Felony Counts Dismissed in Auto-Theft Case Worth $1.7 Million. Sentenced to Probation and Credit for the 4 Days in Jail Already Served
- Mortgage and Real Estate Fraud Valued in Excess of $1 Million Resulted in Probation and One Year of Home Confinement
- Accessory to Murder after Shooting at Busy Restaurant Resulted in Probation and Jail. Avoided Lengthy Prison Time.
- FBI Arrested Client for Involvement in Events on January 6th at U.S. Capitol in Washington D.C. - Obtained Substantial Reduction of Sentence
- Sentence Reduced to 8 Years for Individual Whose DNA was Linked to Kidnap and Rape.
- Case Dismissed for Church Pastor Facing Criminal Charges for Violating COVID-19 Regulations
Begin Building Your Defense
Do not hesitate to contact us by calling (951) 666-2600 or filling out the form below. We review your case for free to determine the best course of action.