We Will Defend Your Rights & Protect Your Future
Facing robbery charges is a serious legal matter that can have far-reaching consequences for individuals and their futures. If you or a loved one is dealing with such charges, it's essential to seek the expertise of a seasoned attorney specializing in criminal defense. At the Law Office of Nicolai Cocis, we are dedicated to defending your rights and crafting a solid defense strategy tailored to your unique case.
Call the Law Office of Nicolai Cocis today at (951) 666-2600 or contact us online to schedule a meeting with our robbery attorney in Murrieta!
What is Robbery?
Robbery is a crime involving the unlawful taking someone else's property or belongings through force, fear, or intimidation. It is essential to distinguish robbery from theft, as robbery includes using force or the threat of force to take another person's property. This distinction is crucial when understanding the nature of robbery charges and their implications in California. Two key elements must be present for an act to be considered robbery:
- Taking someone else's property: The defendant must have taken another person's property without their consent.
- Use of force or intimidation: Besides taking the property, the defendant must have used force, fear, or intimidation to achieve their objective.
Robbery can be categorized into two forms:
- First-Degree Robbery: This is when the robbery occurs in a dwelling or vessel inhabited by people or at an ATM. First-degree robbery carries more severe penalties.
- Second-Degree Robbery: All other forms of robbery not meeting the criteria for first-degree robbery fall under this category.
What are the Penalties for Robbery in Riverside County?
In Riverside County, the penalties for robbery can be severe and life-altering. The specific penalties a person may face can vary depending on several factors, including the circumstances of the crime, the use of weapons, and the defendant's criminal history. Here are some potential penalties for robbery:
- Imprisonment: A conviction for robbery can lead to a significant prison sentence, ranging from several years to life in prison, particularly for first-degree robbery.
- Fines: The court may impose substantial fines on those found guilty of robbery and other penalties.
- Restitution: A defendant may be required to pay restitution to the victim to compensate them for their losses.
- Criminal Record: A robbery conviction can result in a permanent criminal record, negatively impacting future employment, housing, and more.
- Strike Under California's Three Strikes Law: If a weapon was used during the robbery, it may be a strike under California's "Three Strikes" law, potentially leading to enhanced penalties for future convictions.
- Loss of Civil Rights: A robbery conviction can result in the loss of certain civil rights, such as the right to vote or possess firearms.
Defenses Against Robbery Charges
Being charged with robbery does not necessarily mean a guaranteed conviction. There are several defenses and strategies that an experienced robbery lawyer can employ to protect your rights and build a solid case. Some possible defenses include:
- Mistaken Identity: If insufficient evidence links you to the crime, we may argue that you were mistakenly identified.
- Lack of Force or Fear: If the prosecution cannot prove that you used force or instilled fear in the victim, the charges may be challenged.
- Alibi: Providing evidence that you were not present at the crime scene when it occurred can be a strong defense.
- Consent: If you had the victim's consent to take the property, it may not constitute robbery.
- Duress: If you were forced or threatened into committing the crime, this may serve as a defense.
- Illegal Search and Seizure: If evidence was obtained unlawfully, we can challenge the admissibility of that evidence in court.
At the Law Office of Nicolai Cocis, we thoroughly investigate your case to identify the most effective defense strategy. Our experienced attorneys understand the nuances of California's robbery laws and will fight tirelessly to protect your rights and minimize the impact of these charges on your life.
Contact Our Murrieta Robbery Attorney Today
Robbery charges in California are a grave matter that can have significant repercussions. If you or a loved one is facing robbery charges in California, you need a skilled Murrieta robbery lawyer to advocate for your rights and help navigate the complex legal system. At the Law Office of Nicolai Cocis, we are committed to providing the best legal representation, offering strong defense strategies, and fighting to achieve the most favorable outcome for your case.
Contact the Law Office of Nicolai Cocis today to schedule a consultation with our robbery lawyer in Murrieta!
Explore Our Success Stories
- Jury Trial Regarding Federal Conspiracy to Obstruct U.S. Congress
- 23 of 24 Felony Counts Dismissed: Client sentenced to probation and credit for time served in an auto-theft case worth $1.7 million
- Charges reduced: Mortgage and Real Estate Fraud Valued in Excess of $1 Million Resulted in Probation and One Year of Home Confinement
- Charges Reduced: Client Charged with Accessory to Murder after Shooting at Busy Restaurant Resulted in Probation and Jail Time. Avoided Lengthy Prison Time.
- Substantial Reduction of Sentence: FBI Arrested Client for Involvement in Events on January 6th at U.S. Capitol in Washington D.C.
- Sentence Reduced: Client Whose DNA was Linked to Kidnap and Rape Faced a Sentence of 50 Years to Life.