Given the widespread nature of insurance fraud and the filing of fraudulent claims for payment in Riverside County, it has led to the formation of specialized fraud units within the different police departments and the District Attorney's Office. The sole purpose of these units is to investigate and prosecute crimes such as:
1. Car theft
2. Car arson
3. False / fraudulent workers' compensation claim
4. Residential arson
5. Arson of commercial property
6. Fraudulent permanent or temporary disability claim
Some of these law enforcement units are well funded by grants provided by a number of insurance companies. As a result, an individual accused of insurance fraud must hire a lawyer that is knowledgeable in this area of law and aggressive in defending the case.
You should be aware that insurance fraud (also called false insurance claims) can take various forms and is generally prosecuted pursuant Penal Code section 550, which makes it a felony to do any of the following:
1. Knowingly present a false or fraudulent insurance claim
2. Knowingly present multiple insurance claims for the same loss or injury
3. Knowingly participate in a car accident for the purpose of presenting a false insurance claim
4. Knowingly make, with the intent to use, a report in support of a fraudulent insurance claim
5. Knowingly present a false claim for the payment of a loss for theft or damage to a car
A conviction for fraudulent insurance claim is punishable by imprisonment for up to 5 years and a maximum fine of $50,000.
If you have been arrested or charged with insurance fraud in Temecula, Murrieta, Lake Elsinore, Wildomar, Menifee, Perris, Banning, Hemet, Corona, Winchester or Riverside, the first step is to contact an experienced and effective criminal defense lawyer. We are ready to help. Since 1999, our office has successfully represented numerous individuals facing insurance fraud charges. We understand that besides the possible loss of your freedom, a criminal conviction can also have serious consequences for future employment opportunities. Don't jeopardize your future by hiring an inexperienced attorney because at the end of your case, you will get what you paid for.
For more information about how we can help you, please call (951) 666.2600.