We Will Defend Your Rights & Protect Your Future
Kidnapping Laws in California
Murrieta Criminal Defense Lawyer
Have you been arrested and charged with kidnapping? Kidnapping is a very serious crime that can lead to severe penalties. If you have been charged with kidnapping, hiring a Murrieta criminal defense lawyer who will fight for your rights is paramount to ensuring your case has the best outcome possible. At The Law Office of Nic Cocis, we are deeply invested in providing top-notch criminal defense representation to the Murrieta, Temecula, Menifee, Wildomar, Hemet, Banning, Lake Elsinore, Corona, Winchester and Riverside areas.
- Why Hire Us?
- Over 20 Years of Experience
- Consistent Track Record of Success
- Results-driven Representation
- Free Consultations
Understanding Kidnapping Law
Penal code section 207 defines kidnapping as the act of forcibly taking, holding or detaining another person against his or her will using force or fear. In order to be considered kidnapping the person must have moved a substantial distance without their consent. It is important to understand there are certain aggravating factors that can make a kidnapping sentence
Kidnapping A Child Under 14 Years Old
If an individual kidnaps a child who is under the age of fourteen, they could face a punishment of imprisonment in a state prison for up to 5, 8 or 11 years.
When a kidnapping takes place during another crime such as robbery, rape or extortion, then the law considers it aggravated kidnapping. In order to charge an individual with aggravated kidnapping, the prosecutor must prove the defendant intended to kidnap the victim while committing the other crime.
Kidnapping During a Car Jacking
If an individual steals a car and a kidnapping occurs the kidnapping is punishable by imprisonment for life with the possibility of parole.
Kidnapping & Extortion
If the defendant commits a crime of kidnapping in connection with extortion they could face felony charges with a prison sentence of up to 2,3, or 4 years.
How We Can Help
Our Murrieta criminal defense attorneys understand how confusing this time may be for you. Our firm can help answer any legal questions you have about the charges against you as well as build a defense for your case. Kidnapping charges can carry severe penalties. When your life and freedoms are at stake and you need an advocate on your side, contact our Murrieta criminal defense attorneys.
Ready to begin? – Call to schedule your free consultation
See How We Have Helped Other People In Your Shoes
- 23 of 24 Felony Counts Dismissed in Auto-Theft Case Worth $1.7 Million. Sentenced to Probation and Credit for the 4 Days in Jail Already Served
- Mortgage and Real Estate Fraud Valued in Excess of $1 Million Resulted in Probation and One Year of Home Confinement
- Accessory to Murder after Shooting at Busy Restaurant Resulted in Probation and Jail. Avoided Lengthy Prison Time.
- FBI Arrested Client for Involvement in Events on January 6th at U.S. Capitol in Washington D.C. - Obtained Substantial Reduction of Sentence
- Sentence Reduced to 8 Years for Individual Whose DNA was Linked to Kidnap and Rape.
- Case Dismissed for Church Pastor Facing Criminal Charges for Violating COVID-19 Regulations
Begin Building Your Defense
Do not hesitate to contact us by calling (951) 666-2600 or filling out the form below. We review your case for free to determine the best course of action.