We Will Defend Your Rights & Protect Your Future
Vehicular Manslaughter Defense in Murrieta
Drunk Driving Related Deaths
Vehicular manslaughter is defined as a charge where an individual causes an accident involving either another vehicle or pedestrian and causes death. The individual involved is usually driving recklessly or driving under the influence of intoxicating substances such as alcohol or drugs.
Often times, the person who was killed was in another vehicle or a pedestrian on the street, but they could also have been a passenger in the car that the accused was driving. This charge can be tried as a felony if there was drunk driving involved or if the driver was driving recklessly. Vehicular manslaughter can be tried as a misdemeanor if the driver was driving just above the posted speed limit or caused an accident because of distracted driving such as texting or using a phone.
How It Is Different from Murder
Manslaughter is distinctly different from murder. Unlike murder, where a person kills another with malice (hatred) or as a premeditated act, manslaughter charges are often filed against people who cause accidents. Manslaughter is still a form of homicide, but the criminal element of intent to kill is usually missing. Someone who gets in a car after a long night at a bar does not have the intent of going out to cause a murder, but rather causes an accident which results in the untimely death of another individual.
The penalties for involuntary manslaughter and murder are vastly different as well. Manslaughter may hold penalties such as probation and up to a year in jail or a longer incarceration time in a California state prison, on top of other various penalties. Because each case is so distinct and different from one another and the penalties for a convicted person can be so harsh, it is important that you contact a Murrieta criminal defense attorney immediately who can help defend your case.
Murrieta Criminal Lawyer Helping Individuals Since 1999
If you have been arrested or charged with a vehicular manslaughter offense in Temecula, Murrieta, Menifee, Wildomar, Lake Elsinore, Hemet, Banning, Perris, Corona, Winchester or Riverside, the first step is to contact an experienced and effective DUI attorney. We are ready to help. Since 1999, our office has successfully represented various individuals facing vehicular manslaughter charges. We understand that besides the possible loss of your freedom, a felony conviction for vehicular manslaughter can also have serious consequences for future employment opportunities. Don't jeopardize your future by hiring an inexperienced attorney because at the end of your case, you will get what you paid for.
For more information about how we can help you, please call 951.666.2600. Spanish and Romanian language services available.
Explore Our Success Stories
- Jury Trial Regarding Federal Conspiracy to Obstruct U.S. Congress
- 23 of 24 Felony Counts Dismissed: Client sentenced to probation and credit for time served in an auto-theft case worth $1.7 million
- Charges reduced: Mortgage and Real Estate Fraud Valued in Excess of $1 Million Resulted in Probation and One Year of Home Confinement
- Charges Reduced: Client Charged with Accessory to Murder after Shooting at Busy Restaurant Resulted in Probation and Jail Time. Avoided Lengthy Prison Time.
- Substantial Reduction of Sentence: FBI Arrested Client for Involvement in Events on January 6th at U.S. Capitol in Washington D.C.
- Sentence Reduced: Client Whose DNA was Linked to Kidnap and Rape Faced a Sentence of 50 Years to Life.