When you are charged with any crime, whether you faced jail time or not, you probably were assigned a probationary period. In Riverside County, the probation term is usually 3 to 5 years long. During this period of time, there are a number of things that can ultimately result in you facing probation violations charges.
Some of the common reasons you could face probation violations include:
- Failure to appear in court - This may be a simple defense; sometimes notices are lost in the mail.
- Failure to check in - Your probation officer may report you for failing to show up at a scheduled appointment. There are numerous defenses for this including work, school or medical appointments. Failure to communicate is not a punishable offense in most cases.
- Missing court ordered payments - If you were required to pay a fine or restitution, you may be charged with a violation if you do not pay as agreed. Typically, it is better to contact the courts and advise them of an inability to pay prior to being charged with a violation.
- Inappropriate associations - You may inadvertently find yourself associating with people who are deemed inappropriate. However, you do not always have control over who is at a friend's home.
- Traveling without permission - Typically when on probation, you are limited as to when and if you can travel. These violations can often be the result of a misunderstanding of your probation terms.
- Subsequent arrests - If you are arrested on any charges, you may face being charged with a probation violation. It does not matter how minor the charges are, it is possible you could face jail time because you were on probation.
If you have been charged with a probation violation in Temecula, Murrieta, Hemet, Lake Elsinore, Menifee, Wildomar, Perris, Banning, Corona, Winchester or Riverside, it's important that you obtain the assistance of an effective and experienced criminal defense attorney. Call my office immediately at (951) 842-2347 to schedule a free consultation directly with me. Our commitment is making sure that you get the representation you deserve and prevent you from serving time for any probation violations. I pride myself on handling cases one-on-one and not forcing you to deal with office staff or paralegals, you'll get your answers directly from me at all times.